Thursday, May 7, 2015

Somatic


Blood running through flesh,
Flesh growing around blood,
Cutting into the stream…
Obstructing it…
Silencing it…
Until it stops,
Until the silence rings true…
Blood in flesh and flesh on blood
And then no blood,
And then no flesh,
And then nothing
Only silence for company.

That’s where I see you mother
Where I cannot see you
My gaze falls short of your non-gaze
There’s no visor to hide your gaze
There are no eyes to hide
Not even unseeing eyes
There’s no vision to hide
As I hide mine beneath deep dark glasses
Hoping to attain your non-gaze one day,
Your non-eyes, your non-vision.

Each day your non-gaze sinks further
Into my blood, bites into my flesh
Until they start dreaming about you
And dream you into visibility…

In the imploding shadows where blood writes through flesh
And the flesh listens to that writing in speech
In that dialogue I see you mother,
In me, what I cannot see
Until the silence rings true…
Until there’s no blood
Until there’s no flesh
Only your non-gaze for company in silence.



[In memory of my mother Soma Chattopadhyay who had both the word ‘soma’ (something to do with the body) and ‘ma (mother) written into her name. Her body had to undergo a lot of suffering over the years till the very end. And being maternal was in her name. ]

1 comment:

বঙ্কিমচন্দ্র : একটি উপন্যাস said...

সে চলে গিয়েছে তবুও যায়নি যেমন যায়না আসলে কেউ ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHWgAgi30Qs